You can build a free planter box for your backyard out of two wooden pallets. It won’t be gorgeous, but it will be cheap and should only take part an afternoon. Many businesses have pallets free for the asking. Here’s how to build your planter box:
1. Take all the slats off one of the pallets using a hammer, crow bar and, if necessary, a nail puller for nails that are below the wood surface. The slats will become the sides of the box.
2. The bottom side of one pallet — top slats removed — is going to be the planter base.
3. Using a hand saw, cut two slats into four equal pieces. Screw these into the corners for posts.
4. Screw the slats to the corner posts to form sides. One screw on each end is probably enough. The planter will look nicer if you put the ‘”finished” sides of the slats facing out. You may have to trim some ends just slightly to get them to square up.
5. Staple gun hardware cloth to the bottom to hold in soil and keep out tunneling chipmunks. You can prime and paint the finished box or let the wood weather naturally.